Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I Don't Believe in Beatles, I Just Believe in Me

I can't believe that I have mostly avoided religion up until this point!! Of all the sources of internal conflict!! Hold on to your hats...

I have been raised with the requisite amount of Catholic Guilt. The funny part of this is, when I was a child, a teenager, I had no problem blindingly accepting the nice little package of The Church all bundled up and tied with a bow. No--scratch that. The funny part is that at the time, I TRULY did not think that I was naive. Cut to Toby Keith singing I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then....but I digress.

At some point I woke up and started questioning my faith. And I still am. And here is what I've figured out for myself*
-Faith is different than religion.
-I have a major problem with organized religion. (This is a whole other post. Or series of posts)
-I still feel the need to attend church on a weekly basis. (Really. I feel bad if I don't.)
-I did not know about transubstantiation until after college (that's what growing up in rural, protestant MS will get you). I can't get on board with the Catholic thinking on that one. However, I can't seem to make the switch to Episcopal Church (even though that is one of the major diffs between the two, and the Episcopals seem to be a little friendlier to the social causes that I support).
-I just ordered a book on Buddhism yesterday. Buddhism is not really a religion, but in my opinion (and from the limited reading that I have done), it seems to be a really good way to implement many of the things that religion implies that people should do.
-I wish I could just take the plunge and be Buddhist.
-However, I don't believe in reincarnation, and I do believe in God.
-Maybe I should just join up with the Jews for Jesus. After all, Jesus did not teach people to be good Christians. He wanted people to be good Jews.
-Let me preface this by saying that I think Jesus was a really good guy. A moral example for all of us. Having said that, I think people put way too much emphasis on Jesus, and kind of make God second fiddle. Let's remember our priorities.
-I believe in evolution and have already begun telling my kids about it (in the words of They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real.") (hey, they sure won't be getting that version in Catholic school)
-Yes, my kids go to Catholic School.
-I do believe in God because I want to. I really want to believe that there is more out there and that there is some devine force that exists.
-Its more the man-made product of religion that I find questionable.
-My heaven consists of me getting to meet my Grandmother and learning the truth behind the JFK assassination.
-Life's a journey, Not a destination. Thank you Aerosmith.

*this list is subject change with or without notice at any moment

No comments:

Post a Comment